How Do I Enroll?
Your employer offers a retirement program sponsored by the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio. Once you are hired, you have 180 days to select your retirement plan. You may select a retirement plan from the following options:
- Defined Benefit plan – your potential retirement income is determined by a calculation using your age, years of service and final average salary
- Defined Contribution 401(a) plan – your potential retirement income is based on the performance of investment options in which you have selected to invest paycheck contributions, and your employer’s contributions.
- Combined plan – your potential retirement income is based on a combination of:
- the performance of your investment selections, and
- your employer’s contributions to your plan, which help to pay for retirement benefits, disability, survivor benefits and access to health care coverage in retirement
If you don’t make a selection, you’ll automatically be enrolled in the Defined Benefit plan. Please contact an STRS Ohio member service representative to review and discuss your options thoroughly. To learn more about investment options, review the Quarterly Fund Performance.
More detailed information on specific funds may be found in the fact sheets.
When you have decided which retirement plan is best for you, complete the Retirement Plan Selection Form included with your selection packet and mail it to:
State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio
275 E. Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215-3771
Get the help you need
If you have not received a selection packet, please contact an STRS Ohio member service representative to request one.
Are you prepared for retirement?
Find out with the My Interactive Retirement PlannerSM